Friday, April 26, 2013

Trial Days

This week Amy took her class on a four-day trip to a small town just a few train stops from the middle of nowhere, Germany, leaving Norah and I to fend for ourselves. And, as chance would have it, Norah's daycare called Tuesday morning telling me I had to come pick her up because she, um, had stomach issues that required a whole new outfit getting put on. I brought her to the doctor, who basically said she had a stomach bug, and kept her home Wednesday and Thursday. She hasn't acted sick at all, so I think these past two days were more like two sample average days of what being a stay at home dad would be like.




 
On day one, I made up a batch of whole wheat pancakes and froze whatever we didn't finish. Turns out she likes hers with either maple syrup or a little bit of nutella. Freezing whatever baked goods you don't finish is a really good idea. You just let it sit on a cooling rack until it's cold, then freeze it on baking paper before throwing it all into a freezer bag. Just warm it up for a quick, decent, breakfast. That's what we did for morning number two, as well as Friday morning when Norah went back to daycare and I went back to work.








You can see from the first picture that hair hair is getting pretty crazy. I managed to give her a little front pony tail type thing to keep it out of her eyes. Norah doesn't really like anything on her head, so I learned the trick is to sneak it on her while she's occupied with something else. She sported the unicorn look until about lunch time when it fell out while she tackled me.


Both mornings we went to the playground after breakfast. I lucked out big time with the nice weather. I can imagine how rough it would be not being able to go outdoors. This toddler loves going outside and has loads of energy, so when she gets fussy we can head right out and everything is good in the world again. Being stuck inside because of the cold, miserable weather would be really hard, especially without a car or anywhere to go that Norah would enjoy.
 








Norah's a pretty independent little girl. She decided to take her breadroll somewhere else for a little picnic on her own.








During my hiatus from blogging, quite a bit has been happening in the world of Norah. She is now a walking machine. No more crawling. She just walks and walks and walks. She'll be running in no time.
 

I really liked doing the stay at home parent thing. It's a difficult job, what with getting done everything that needs getting done around the home (most of which you can only do while the little one is sleeping, something I came to know as The Great Nap Time Race), being responsible for another human life that is incapable of taking care of him- or herself yet manages to be a slave driver of a boss, and doing their best to remain sane all the while, stay at home parents don't have it easy and it isn't for everyone and that's okay.  I'd like to give it a try, though, at some point. See how I enjoy it for longer than two days.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment