Saturday, May 25, 2013

Nothin' Like a Good Radio Flyer



When I was a kid I had a Radio Flyer wagon, just like a lot you did (I imagine). It was old, the paint was a bit chipped and there might have been a spot or two of rust. I remember riding it down the steep sidewalk in front of the house using the handle like a steering wheel, going faster and faster and hoping with all I had that I wouldn't lose control and go face first into the pavement. Another time my brother and I had the great idea to fill the old wagon with mud and coat ourselves in it from head to toe. As the clay-like mud dried, we realized our idea wasn't so great after all. And I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure there was a time when we tied the wagon's handle to the back of one of our bikes.
 





Norah Grace has a newer, more comfortable, plastic model with fold up seat backs. It's bigger than the old one and waiting for her in Kentucky. Over the years she'll make her own memories with her own Radio Flyer with whatever sibling(s) and cousins (cough cough) come along. My wish for them is that they are as lucky as we were to make all these memories without stitches as reminders.












Yes, Norah's Radio Flyer is in the states, but she isn't completely deprived of wagon fun here in Germany:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment