Saturday, June 1, 2013

Hazelnutty Chocolatey Deliciousness



Oh, Nutella, how we love you so.

This, the first installment in my thirty day tribute to our life in Germany, is dedicated to Nutella.

Throughout the month of June, I hope to add one new post each day to chronicle the highlights (in no particular order) of the last four years of our lives here in Europe, so make sure you check in often. When I set foot in Germany for the first time, nearly four years ago, I had been married for 11 days, been to three foreign countries, and had no defined course for my professional life. Now, I have a daughter, have visited more than a dozen counties, and have my master's degree in school counseling. Pretty big accomplishments.

These posts are a countdown. Each one brings us one day closer to the 30th, the day we pull up our roots and leave Germany, headed for the good old US of A and the next chapter in our lives.

So, back on topic. Nutella. Why, out of all my monumental life milestones I've reached in Germany, do I choose to start my countdown with a hazelnut-chocolate spread that tastes great on waffles and toast? No reason, really.

Except that it's great.

Nutella is our European peanut butter replacement and has been our breakfast savior more than once throughout our travels. So often, breakfast buffets had an assortment of meats and cheeses fit for a picnic lunch, but not quite for starting my day. Enter Nutella. Almost without fail would we find little single-serving Nutella packages with the butter and margerine sitting by the bread rolls. Spread some on a few of those rolls and grab a cup of strong coffee and you've got yourself a breakfast.

Here's to you, Nutella.

No comments:

Post a Comment