Thursday, September 27, 2012

Running to Escape...Literally

In this blog I focus on things that bring awe to my life, mainly my little girl. The awesomeness of adventure, though, is something different. Whether it be immersing myself in a new culture, admiring one of a kind vistas, or reaching for that surge of adrenalin, it's a passion, something I crave. There are so many adventures to be had from the north pole to south. This particular one takes place below the equator on an island that has never seen a speed limit above fifty-five and the Milky way stretches from horizon to horizon like a celestial rainbow. Fiji.

I lived in Fiji for three months in 2008 and ran a few times per week throughout the duration. One route was about five miles, part of which took place on train tracks. You can see where this story is going.

I never saw a train on these narrow tracks, plus most sections had areas I could step off if a train were to come. Perfectly safe. However, I doubt many stories beginning with "So I was running on the train tracks..." are without their fair bit of excitement (and dumb choices).

So I was running on the train tracks when I heard a noise. It sounded a bit like a train, but was far in the distance. I kept running, pace unchanged. The sound grew, like it was coming closer yet still far away. Still, I ran. I rounded a bend and kept going straight ahead. After a little while on this straightaway I chanced a look back and saw a train, loaded down with sugar cane, coming around the bend.


I didn't scream...at least not that I remember. What I do remember, though, was running like my life depended on it. I ran as fast as I could down the straightaway. There was nowhere to jump off and get out of the train's path. To the right lay a swamp, full of thick, trash littered muck, mud, and water. To the left was dense vegetation leaving it not possible exit to those poor souls who thought running on train track sounded like a good idea. So I ran.

My legs burned and I gasped for air, train growing closer second by second. I rounded another bend and saw salvation ahead. A road came close to the tracks, thereby providing a break in the undergrowth. My legs began to tired and my lungs screamed for air. The train's whistle cut through the air, giving me an extra boost. I ran as fast as I could to that road, to salvation. The train grew closer. My strength was leaving me.

Just then, I made it to the road. I jumped from the tracks and the train passed by seconds later. What a rush.

Quite the adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment