Friday, June 14, 2013

A Dog Friendly Place

When my sisters first saw a dog tethered to a bike rack outside the grocery store, they felt sorry for the poor creature. Who could do such a thing to a dog? They wondered.

Once you've lived here for a little bit and you realize no one is going to come steal your dog when you blink, there's no problem leaving them outside stores. We've done it dozens of times. If it's hot I find a shady spot for them and leave a bowl of water.

That isn't the only way Leipzig is dog-friendly. When Amy was still doing the stay at home mom thing I would take Norah Grace and Mika the high maintenance border collie for a long walk through the park to Starbucks where we would all sit inside and I would drink my coffee and Norah her bottle. Mika would lay at my feet a watch people. Or look for crumbs under my chair.

Both dogs have been on trains, trams and a bus. Mika came with me more than once to the Home Depot type store here called Toom. 

In hindsight I kind of wish I took some pictures of these everyday occurrences. That can be a little lesson to me in and of itself: sometimes it's worth taking special note of things that don't always seem so special at the time.    

Mika and Bella came with us on our first Austria trip. This is the four of us on our hotel balcony. 

The dogs in the park, no leashes.

Technically, there are specific areas in parks set aside for dogs to run off the leash. In reality, though, as long as your dog is relatively well behaved it's widely accepted that they can run free wherever they choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment