Sunday, June 9, 2013

As Easy as a Walk in the Park

Welcome back to my June countdown of some of our top memories from living in Germany. While the entries are in no particular order, each post brings us closer to the 30th, the day we move ourselves back to the good old US of A.

This entry is very important because, for me, it's a factor in why we stayed as long as we did.

The parks.

Leipzig is a pretty green city and  you can go completely through it rarely leaving the shade of the trees. I'm not a city person. I don't particularly enjoy the sounds, smells, sights, or dog poop of the sidewalks that a city has to offer. Here, though, I can escape. A ten minute walk and it's easy to forget I live in a city. The air is cleaner and quieter. The smell of car exhaust can't reach here and peace generally reigns.


When the dogs were here I walked them all throughout the parks. We would go out early in the morning before many other people were up and enjoy the solitude. They're in the US now, waiting for us with my parents, but I, along with my wife and daughter, still go for the walks--just not so early or in the rain. Norah is actually the driving force behind our strolls in the park. She loves going outside and will bring me my shoes when I'm sitting at the computer or drinking my coffee to tell me I need to get off my rear end and get some fresh air. Sometimes she tries to climb into her stroller or leads me by the hand to the front door.


We go for weekly walks through the park to the city center and Starbucks to get the coffee for the week. It's a highlight of the week for us all.

I hope where we live next is a good place to take walks and go on bike rides. It's something that's important to us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment