Saturday, June 8, 2013

Football, American Style

Yes, Leipzig has a football team. American football, that is--you usually have to specify when you're out of the country or else everyone will think you're talking about soccer. They call themselves the Leipzig Lions and look to be made up of people ranging in age from late teens to thirties. Surprisingly enough, I only went to two or three games in all four short seasons I've been here. 


Each time I went, though, I really enjoyed myself. As ability goes, I'd rank them among mediocre high school teams in the US, but I loved the atmosphere. In regards the the ability...during the opening kick to my first Lions game the kicker fell on his rear end after getting the ball airborne. The atmosphere, though, was enthusiastic and easy going and full of cheering fans..  


The head referee, below, measured penalty yardage by counting out large footsteps. And yes, they had cheerleaders. Also, they used their own players to be announcers. These guys had a hard time being unbiased and actually once overlooked acknowledging an opposing team's touchdown.




No comments:

Post a Comment